Personnel Exposure Limits
- A boat manufacturer is exceeding the personnel exposure limits (PEL) for styrene in their manufacturing facility.
- Traditional HVAC ventilation approaches (i.e. air changes per hour) were not meeting the 50 ppmv 8 hour weighted average limit.
- PI Elements, Inc. utilizes computational fluid dynamic (CFD) modeling to determine design requirements for the ventilation system.
- The modeling indicated that the styrene was flowing out of the boats and on to the floor.
- Modeling also indicated areas of heaviest styrene concentrations within the facility.
- Modeling dictated bringing in fresh air from the top and exhausting at floor level.
- PI Elements, Inc. installed the system turn-key. The system utilized an automatic control system that maintained balance between inlet and outlet flows.
- The design was able to achieve an average PEL of 35 ppmv.
- The design was installed successfully in two of the company’s locations.